Introduce yourself šŸ‘‹

Hello,
I am Menna an undergraduate Medical student from Egypt. I had little knowledge about computational neuroscience 2 months ago then l have attended NMA which made me interested to learn more about this field. Thank you for creating this portal.
Best wishes!

4 Likes

Welcome @assergazina. Iā€™m myself not working on AI, but @dan might have a book suggestion. If not, maybe open a topic about it in the #science channel? Also have a look at the topic Pattern recognition in Spiking Neural Nets using Brian2 in the #projects channel.

2 Likes

Thank you, Mr. Marcel, for your reference.

If you mean training in a machine learning sense, you should start here:

Otherwise, any computational neuroscience resource that talks about STDP etc. would be good. Some free ones available on my website:

1 Like

Hi ! I am Ramapati Patra ,from National Institute of Technology,Durgapur,India.I am a phd student,working on spiking neural network domain.During the study of SNN related paper,I have come to know about BRIAN2 simulator,I have been gone trough Brian2ā€™s materials and trying to learn Brian2 simulator function well manner as it is very usefull and flexible.As I am a newcomer to BRIAN2 ,hence I have some query regarding some basic functionalities of BRIAN2,could anyone please advice me in which section I can put my query to clear my doubts??Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the Brian forum!

If it is a question about Brian functionality (ā€œhow do I do X with Brianā€), then please put it into the Support category. If it is a more general modeling question (ā€œhow can I model Y?ā€), please put it into Science, Projects, and Showcases.

Thank you so much sir.

Hello, my name is Mik Schutte, I am a neuroscience master student at the University of Amsterdam. Currently, my internship has taken me to the Donders institute where I will develop a dynamic clamp (current clamp dependent on membrane voltage) protocol for measuring the mutual information. Iā€™ve been playing around with Brain2 for some weeks now and have to state my congratulations on the package youā€™ve built.

I highly look forward to asking bothersome questions and answering them too.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for setting up this forum! Iā€™m sure it will be extremely helpful as more and more people jump in and participate.

So hi everyone! I am Julian, I grew up in Sevilla (Spain), where I also did my bachelorā€™s in Robotics Engineering. A couple of years ago I moved to Groningen (Netherlands) to pursue a masterā€™s in Artificial Intelligence.

It was during my stay here that I got interested in the field of neuromorphic engineering and I chose to do my master thesis on that topic. I only started my thesis a couple of months ago, and thatā€™s how I came across the Brian simulator and what brought me here today!

The (provisional) title of my thesis is ā€œAudiovisual Multimodal Learning with Spiking Neural Networks and Event-Based Sensorsā€. Therefore, I am especially interested in how to use different types of input for the networks and how to play around with its connectivity. Hopefully, someday Iā€™ll have to deal with how to interface things with hardware, and to that end, making things computationally efficient is also on my agenda.

See you around! :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Hi everybody !

My name is Brad Niepceron, Iā€™m a french PhD Student at University of Picardie Jules Vernes. I initially worked developing and using Deep Learning models for medical image analysis but got hooked and really really interested by computational neurosciences while chatting with my thesis supervisor. I started investigating spiking models to complete my work this year and got into using Brian2.

Other than that, I also have an interest for Cloud Computing and Devops practices :slight_smile:

Have a great day !

2 Likes

Hi!

Iā€™m Rodrigo Siqueira, a biologist by trade and a PhD in Cybernetics by the University of Reading working a research associate at the Active Touch Laboratory @ University of Sheffield (Active Touch Lab - Team) on the newest senior software engineer at the AMRC North West, also part of the University of Sheffield, in the UK. Currently, Iā€™m developing footsim, a computational model of the tactile afferents on the foot sole ( Talk: FootSim: Modeling tactile responses from the sole of the foot - YouTube ) and utilising Brian to model behavioural experiments to try to understand how general intelligence evolves in collaboration with the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and the UTEC in Peru.

As always,
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am post-doc in electronics eng. Although itā€™s not my main area of expertise, I like working with AI - recently I got shined by bio-inspired neural networks, and I started using Brian2 to make my hands dirty with experiments

1 Like

Hi everyone !

I am Shavika Rastogi, a dual award PhD student in Neuromorphic Olfaction at International Centre for Neuromorphic Systems in Western Sydney University, Australia and Biocomputation Research Group in University of Hertfordshire, UK. I did my Masters in the field of Neuroscience with Computational Neuroscience as my focus area from University of Freiburg, Germany. I have done my undergrad in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Mody University, Lakshmangarh (India).

I am currently using Brian2 for modelling of olfactory bulb. I have used NEST simulator before, but nit Brian. As it is my first time with Brian, I am facing some issues like dimensionality mismatch in differential equations. I will be grateful for any help provided in this group.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone. I am Yavuz. Iā€™m interested in Computational Neuroscience for 4 months. Iā€™ve started with Gerstnerā€™s Neuronal Dynamics book. I finished first chapter and than began to understand software basics. Before that I never used Python and Brian. Following the bookā€™s instructions and Brian website, especially Brian recommends to learn Python first, then continue to Brian documents. However given the enourmous structure of Pythonā€™s universe, how much do I have to know about Python? When will I realize that Iā€™m ready to learn Brian? I couldnā€™t find any advice section in this forum. Also I should add that I come from Matlab knowledge.

Thank you. Best regards.

1 Like

Hi @winterdrops and welcome :wave:.
You donā€™t necessarily need a lot of Python knowledge to use Brian, the way to describe and run models in Python should be quite understandable on its own. Give the tutorials a try and see whether things make sense. Python knowledge becomes important mostly when you either want to simulate models in more complex settings (parameter exploration, fitting parameters, interface to switch between different model variants, ā€¦), or to analyse/plot data. For Brian itself, knowing how to create new objects, and how to call functions and methods on objects should be mostly enough + some basic knowledge of how list/array indexing works in Python. Basically all numerical analysis code in Python is built around the numpy library, so some familiarity with it will be necessary sooner or later. The documentation has a guide for matlab users: NumPy for MATLAB users ā€” NumPy v1.23 Manual For plotting, the standard library (also used in all Brian examples) is matplotlib: https://matplotlib.org/
Hope that gets you started!

2 Likes