Brian and GridSearchCV problems

I was really excited to run a grid search using GridSearchCV by encapsulating my Brian model as an Estimator(). I want to do this so that all the parallelisation and bookkeeping is taken care of for me; I have successfully used this technique with a Nengo model.

The problem is that it seems like GridSearchCV tries to pickle my object in order to dispatch it to the workers and I’m getting TypeError: cannot pickle 'weakref' object.

Is there any way I can get around this? I really want for this to work.
I’m attaching the debug files generated by Brian.

My code structure would look something like this:

class RCN_Estimator(BaseEstimator, RegressorMixin):
    def set_params(self, **parameters):
        for parameter, value in parameters.items():
            setattr(self, parameter, value)
        return self

def __init__(self, ba=15, i_e_w=10, i_freq=20, cue_percentage=100, a2_cue_time=0.1, attractors=2):
        self.rcn = RecurrentCompetitiveNet()

self.ba = ba
        self.i_e_w = i_e_w
        self.i_freq = i_freq
        self.cue_percentage = cue_percentage
        self.a2_cue_time = a2_cue_time
        self.attractors = attractors

def fit(self, X, y=None):
        self.rcn.run_net(duration=2)

self.results_ready = True

return self

def predict(self, X):
        assert self.results_ready, "You must call fit() before calling predict()"

return np.array([0])

def score(self, X, y=None, sample_weight=None):
        assert self.results_ready, "You must call fit() before calling score()"

atr_ps_counts = count_ps(
            rcn=self.rcn,
            attractors=self.attractors,
            time_window=self.attractors_t_windows,
            spk_sync_thr=0.75)

return atr_ps_counts

num_par = 2
cv = 2
param_grid = {
  'a2_cue_time': np.linspace(0.1, 1, num=np.rint(num_par).astype(int)),
}

print('Initial search')
print('Param grid:', param_grid)
gs = GridSearchCV(RCN_Estimator(), param_grid=param_grid, n_jobs=-1, verbose=3, cv=cv)
gs.fit(np.zeros(cv))
print('Best parameters:', gs.best_params_)
print('Best score:', gs.best_score_)

Thanks!

joblib.externals.loky.process_executor._RemoteTraceback: 
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/externals/loky/backend/queues.py", line 153, in _feed
    obj_ = dumps(obj, reducers=reducers)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/externals/loky/backend/reduction.py", line 271, in dumps
    dump(obj, buf, reducers=reducers, protocol=protocol)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/externals/loky/backend/reduction.py", line 264, in dump
    _LokyPickler(file, reducers=reducers, protocol=protocol).dump(obj)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/externals/cloudpickle/cloudpickle_fast.py", line 602, in dump
    return Pickler.dump(self, obj)
TypeError: cannot pickle 'weakref' object
"""
The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/pydevconsole.py", line 364, in runcode
    coro = func()
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_bundle/pydev_umd.py", line 198, in runfile
    pydev_imports.execfile(filename, global_vars, local_vars)  # execute the script
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_imps/_pydev_execfile.py", line 18, in execfile
    exec(compile(contents+"\n", file, 'exec'), glob, loc)
  File "/Users/thomas/PycharmProjects/wm_colaboration/network_dynamics/RCN/intrinsic_plasticity/RCN_intrinsic_adaptation_simulation_parallel.py", line 247, in <module>
    gs.fit(np.zeros(cv))
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sklearn/model_selection/_search.py", line 875, in fit
    self._run_search(evaluate_candidates)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sklearn/model_selection/_search.py", line 1375, in _run_search
    evaluate_candidates(ParameterGrid(self.param_grid))
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sklearn/model_selection/_search.py", line 822, in evaluate_candidates
    out = parallel(
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/parallel.py", line 1056, in __call__
    self.retrieve()
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/parallel.py", line 935, in retrieve
    self._output.extend(job.get(timeout=self.timeout))
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/site-packages/joblib/_parallel_backends.py", line 542, in wrap_future_result
    return future.result(timeout=timeout)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 446, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 391, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
_pickle.PicklingError: Could not pickle the task to send it to the workers.

brian_debug_n1rccgar.log (1.0 MB)
brian_script_umgkest4.py (10.8 KB)

UPDATE 1: a bit of digging shows that the error is raised in this line of code within the Joblib backend:

UPDATE 2: I also tried running the example at Example: 01_using_cython — Brian 2 2.5.1 documentation and that also leads to pickling issues:

File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/pydevconsole.py", line 364, in runcode
    coro = func()
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_bundle/pydev_umd.py", line 198, in runfile
    pydev_imports.execfile(filename, global_vars, local_vars)  # execute the script
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_imps/_pydev_execfile.py", line 18, in execfile
    exec(compile(contents+"\n", file, 'exec'), glob, loc)
  File "/Users/thomas/PycharmProjects/wm_colaboration/network_dynamics/RCN/intrinsic_plasticity/RCN_intrinsic_adaptation_simulation_parallel_multiprocessing.py", line 22, in <module>
    results = p.map(run_sim, tau_values)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 364, in map
    return self._map_async(func, iterable, mapstar, chunksize).get()
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 771, in get
    raise self._value
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 537, in _handle_tasks
    put(task)
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 211, in send
    self._send_bytes(_ForkingPickler.dumps(obj))
  File "/Users/thomas/.conda/envs/brian/lib/python3.9/multiprocessing/reduction.py", line 51, in dumps
    cls(buf, protocol).dump(obj)
_pickle.PicklingError: Can't pickle <function run_sim at 0x104934280>: attribute lookup run_sim on __main__ failed

UPDATE 3: Switching multiprocessing for pathos seems to have solved the issue in running Example: 01_using_cython — Brian 2 2.5.1 documentation

Hi @Tioz90 These errors are unfortunately hard to debug/reproduce, e.g. the 01_using_cython example runs fine on my Linux machine with the standard multiprocessing module. Using pathos or replacing Python’s pickle module by dill can help for these kind of issues in general.

But I’d like this to work directly without any tricks or workarounds. I actually ran into similar issues a while ago when working on the changes to the standalone mode (see Computational methods and efficiency — Brian 2 2.5.1.post0.dev84 documentation) and addressed them in that branch – unfortunately, these changes still haven’t been merged yet.
Since it will still take some time until that branch can be merged, I pulled out the changes related to pickling and put them into their own branch: improve_pickling. Could you try using this branch and see whether it fixes your GridSearchCV issue?

I actually managed to get everything to work based on the 01_using_cython example and substituting pathos for multiprocessing.
I’ll try and see if the new branch helps with my original problem and report back.

1 Like