Modelling Cortical Circuits

Been trying to create a large scale model of motor cortex behaviour based on this paper by Esser, et al., 2005. I just generated this connectivity visualisation of a single cortical column and thought it looked kind of cool =) The neurons (red and black) are arranged in layers, and my model will several columns - depending on speed. Has anyone else tried to do anything similar?Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.47.17 PM

2 Likes

That looks very cool! Good luck with the project. :slight_smile:

Hi Imun, nice work! How did you decide on the network connectivity pattern?

I’ve done related work using random connectivity, small world connectivity, and also using generative algorithms for connectivity. All lead to different dynamics but hard to control. In my case distance between cells will change the propagation time for action potentials.

Have you also modelled the TMS perturbation. The Esser et al. paper seems to be looking at TMS simulation.

Cheers!

Hi Francis! Thanks for your message.

The intra and inter layer connectivity for neuron groups I got from the paper and is based on a gaussian function of horizontal distances with minor adjustments to the probabilities and strengths to try and match spontaneous cortical frequencies.

I’ve just shown a single column here, but I find the same thing when adding multiple columns, I get quite different dynamics - ie. higher frequencies of spontaneous firing with more columns.

Yes, I’ve tried modelling the TMS but don’t get the high frequency response as shown in the paper. But my inhibitory cells are very active so maybe it’s something to do with the E/I balance.