Problem using brian1 docker image

Downloaded the code associated with Touboul & Brette 2008 from modeldb.science/114242. Installed the docker image for brian1.4.3 as described at Container image for Brian 1 — Brian 2 2.5.4 documentation. Then tried

podman run -v “$(pwd):/workdir” brian1 python behaviors.py

and of course got this msg

python: can’t open file ‘behaviors.py’: [Errno 13] Permission denied

so tried this instead

podman run -u (id -u):(id -g) -v “$(pwd):/workdir” brian1 python behaviors.py

(sorry, haven’t figured out how the “preformatted text” markup is supposed to work, so a couple of dollar signs aren’t showing in that line) and got the same msg. This under Rocky linux 9.3 (RHEL semiclone) with latest updates. What next?

Hi @xnm. I’m afraid I cannot reproduce this on my machine, i.e.:

podman pull docker.io/briansimulator/brian1.4.3
podman tag briansimulator/brian1.4.3 brian1
podman run -v "$(pwd):/workdir" brian1 python behaviors.py

runs without a permission error. It raises an exception about the access optimize, but this is fixed by adding from scipy import optimize to the script. The permission issue we mention in the documentation is with respect to files written by the script – this does not apply here. I don’t have experience with RHEL/Rocky Linux, but this problem does not seem to be related to the Brian 1 container itself but rather to your local environment (how/where you downloaded the files, the podman version you are using, etc.).

All that said, if you are interested in the results of Toubul & Brette 2008, you can also use the Brian 2 version of their code, included as an example in the Brian dicumentation: Example: Touboul_Brette_2008 — Brian 2 2.5.4 documentation

Hope that helps!
Marcel

PS:

sorry, haven’t figured out how the “preformatted text” markup is supposed to work

Pre-formatted text uses markdown syntax, i.e. either enclose text in `single backticks` for in-inline formatting, or in

```
triple backticks
```

For multi-line (e.g. code snippets).

Thanks for the prompt and very helpful reply, Marcel!

Touboul & Brette 2008 is a very nice nonlinear dynamical system analysis. But I was looking for something much simpler–in particular, something that corresponds to Naud et al. 2008. And sure enough, there it is in the Brian documentation!

–Ted

1 Like